Thursday, December 4, 2008

Good bye Kilkenny...

Goodbye Kilkenny...Today was my last day at Castle Gardens Surgery in Kilkenny. This week I drove two hours each way to get to Kilkenny in my friend's car. Irish roads are crap. That is a different blog post all together, and has nothing to do with my education so I won't talk about it.

I have decided during my 3 weeks in Castle Gardens, that GPs are awesome. They get all this flack for not being awesome, or doing things medically correct, or not being "helpful," but I realized community family medicine is brilliant.

1) Personal relationships with families
2) Acute and chronic conditions are seen
3) This kind of "closeness" between nurses, pharmacists, doctors, secretaries are NEVER found anywhere else except within the office.
4) The amount of respect given to these GPs for being such wonderfully friendly people are out of this world.

To top it off, my GP was an awesome man. He was so good natured, so friendly, so quiet, so courteous. Dandy, gentleman. He reminds me of a passive, mild version of my grandfather. Gentlemanly, well dressed, graceful, and charming.

When I left I was laden with

a) Fresh, warm loaf of brown bread
b) Fruit Scones
c) Scented Candles
d) Box of chocolates
e) Box of perfume and lotion
f) Two cards
g) Lots of love and warmth in my heart.

Honestly, I've never met a group of people so amazing.

Miss them all already!

No comments: